Blogs I Follow
On peace, compassion and empathy https://kevinclementspeaceandconflict.wordpress.com/about/
On terrorism, political violence and peace https://richardjacksonterrorismblog.wordpress.com/
On teaching and research in peace and conflict studies http://rogermacginty.com/
On resource governance and life in higher education http://www.raulpacheco.org/
On, international studies and with a good dose of critical thought http://duckofminerva.com
Useful journal articles related to teaching and pedagogy (more to come, watch this space)
Innovative Teaching Approaches and Ideas (non technology based)
- Boblett N (2012) ‘Scaffolding: Defining the Metaphor’ Columbia University Working Papers in TESOL & Applied Linguistics 12(2), 1-16.
- Ernst HR and Ernst TL (2005) ‘The Promise and Pitfalls of Differentiated Instruction for Undergraduate Political Science Courses: Student and Instructor Impressions of an Unconventional Teaching Strategy’ Journal of Political Science Education, 1:1, 39-59.
- Robertson K (2012) ‘A Journal Club Workshop That Teaches Undergraduates a Systemic Method for Reading, Interpreting, and Presenting Primary Literature’ Journal of College and Science Teaching 41(6), 25-31.
Managing Group Work
- Oakley B, Felder RM, Brent R and Elhajj I (2004) ‘Turning Student Groups into Effective Teams’ Journal of Student Centered Learning, 2(1), 9-34.
- Huang S 2014 ‘Students Riding on Coattails during Group Work? Five Simple Ideas to Try’ http://www.facultyfocus.com/articles/effective-teaching-strategies/students-riding-coattails-group-work-five-simple-ideas-try/
Interdisciplinary and Collaborative Teaching
- Knotts G, Henderson L, Davidson RA and Swain JD (2009) ‘The Search for Authentic Practice Across the Disciplinary Divide’ College Teaching 57(4), 188-196.
Intercultural Issues in Education
- Gay, G. (2000). Culturally responsive teaching: Theory, research and practice, New York, NY: Teachers’ College Press.
- Sharan, Y. (2010). “Cooperative learning: A diversified pedagogy for diverse classrooms”. European Intercultural Education, 21(3), 195-203.
- Advice on how to explain reflexive writing to your students: ‘Reflective Writing’: UNSW https://student.unsw.edu.au/reflective-writing
- Ideas on different formats and uses of reflective writing ‘Reflective Writing’ Massey University http://owll.massey.ac.nz/assignment-types/reflective-writing.php
- Burrows VA, McNeill B, Hubele NF and Bellamy L (2001) ‘Statistical Evidence for Enhanced Learning of Content Through Reflective Journal Writing’ Journal of Engineering Education, 90(4), 661-667.